Kidney or renal transplantation
A kidney transplantation, also called renal transplantation, is the organ transplant of a kidney into a patient with end-stage renal disease.
There are two types of kidney donation
- Donation from a living donor
- Donation from a deceased donor
Every person being considered for transplant will get a full medical and phychosocial evaluation to make sure they are a good candidate for transplant. The evaluation helps find any problems, so they can be corrected before transplant.
Evaluation process before transplant
- Blood type testing
- Tissue typing
Phases of transplant
- Pre-transplant period: evaluation process
- Transplant surgery
- Post-transplant period: monitoring of the kidney functions
- Anti-rejection medication period